Monday, February 9, 2015

he's in Washington.

goodnight moon. 
drift off to sleep oh ye stars in the sky
because I'm sitting down here in a cold bed waiting to be heard by the silence
wrapped up in sheets that once protected me from the monsters in my closet 

goodnight alarm clock
I hate you

goodnight guitars
even with six of you, space still feels empty
but the songs sound good

goodnight sunglasses
I've only worn you twice 
but I promise I still like you
and I promise we are still together 
maybe we just need a break, 
maybe we need to see other people. 

goodnight mom
sorry I'm still mean to grace
and sorry I messed up
and sorry family nights turn into civil war

goodnight dad
I wish you could be here on Friday

goodnight sertraline
you really aren't as helpful as the doctor said you would be 

goodnight beanies
even with seven of you I can't seem to hold in my sanity
each thread of humanity slips out of the cotton effortlessly 

goodnight mountains
you remind me of M and that's alarming
she's never even seen the peaks 
but she brought them crashing down on top of me 
like dropping a pin. 

goodnight savannah
maybe today the girls won't be so mean

goodnight grace
I try to protect you more than you know

goodnight Sadie
for being six years old 
you're pretty adorable. 

goodnight

6 comments:

  1. good morning

    I like this concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really neat. Really new. Really creative. Brilliant. Great job. Super good read and well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome concept and beautifully executed. I loved this. I reallu liked the beginning parts with the alarm clock guitar and beanie but when it switched over to people it just started getting better and better. Really relatable and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this lots. I'm not exactly sure why but I love how you said everything. it was calm and made me feel like home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is so cute. I love them all. My heart is warm. This was just really cute. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this makes me very happy and sad all at the same time. but I love it. very creative and well written. so so good John.

    ReplyDelete