Tuesday, March 3, 2015

too short.

in kindergarten, they never taught me how to draw a heart.
and in first grade they told me my 8's looked like snowmen.

I'm still here bending the edges of my heart,
because on paper it looks like an ugly V
and between my ribs it beats irregularly.

in second grade I peed my pants.
and third grade doesn't have any memories.
fourth grade I cried because I wasn't elected to student council.
fifth grade I beat a kid up,
and in sixth grade I beat him up two more times.

he moved to Virginia,
I think.

in seventh grade I quit football to "focus" on school.
and in eighth grade I wore Aeropostale shirts with basketball shorts.
ninth grade I started talking to girls and sequentially had a crush on every girl in student council.

I had a girlfriend then, too.
but we dated for ten months and didn't kiss.

sophomore year I decided that Lone Peak was never going to be where I graduated.
but I met Isaac that year.

junior year I forgot that I was in highschool,
and forgot how to live.

I started senior year looking for drugs, sex, and rock and roll.
and I found Jesus instead.


9 comments:

  1. i met isaac sophomore year too. he was my first high school crush lol why am i saying this ANYWAYS you're amazing and i can't wait to hear you at the noscars tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. student council was the best. I remember the first time I sparked an interest in guitar was because you and Meyers were jamming in class one day and I couldn't get it out of my head. so thanks for that.

    and I met isaac sophomore year too.

    and this whole thing was real good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you peed your pants.

    And that closing line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I found myself sophomore year. This was so tender to me john. I have never been able to write well about high school. But here, you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JOHN. that last line.
    andddd the whole thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But I didn't know that until sophomore year. Okay bye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete